03 March 2008

Our brains are just smaller - it's science!

Which is probably why my head fucking exploded when I read Charlotte Allen's piece in the Washington Post this weekend titled "We Scream, We Swoon. How Dumb Can We Get?"
Not enough sarcasm in the world ... I just wish Charlotte would use her hands to bake pies, mop a floor and do laundry instead of writing tripe like this.

Here's an excerpt ... after which the misogynistic comments can commence:

"The theory that women are the dumber sex -- or at least the sex that gets into more car accidents -- is amply supported by neurological and standardized-testing evidence. Men's and women's brains not only look different, but men's brains are bigger than women's (even adjusting for men's generally bigger body size). The important difference is in the parietal cortex, which is associated with space perception. Visuospatial skills, the capacity to rotate three-dimensional objects in the mind, at which men tend to excel over women, are in turn related to a capacity for abstract thinking and reasoning, the grounding for mathematics, science and philosophy. While the two sexes seem to have the same IQ on average (although even here, at least one recent study gives males a slight edge), there are proportionally more men than women at the extremes of very, very smart and very, very stupid."

9 comments:

Pete said...

Easy Charlotte Allen! Girls are good at a lot of things. Like baking.

Pepper said...

Finally, some scientifical justification for the swiffer duster I got Becca for Christmas. And the cartridge refills I got her for Valentine's Day.

Don't fight your biology.

mandy said...

Wow. Just imagine the amazing force presented by the scientifically-minded Charlotte Allen and that outspoken Ann Coulter: together they would ensure women would be lean, mean, cleaning machines that could not vote. Ah, like some bizarro lesbian commune of old...

Minna said...

I would comment on this, but what I want to say is inscribed on the underside of cube in my head that I just CAN'T EFFING ROTATE. I CAN'T DO IT. Also, my emotions are overwhelming my capacity for reasoned thought. I need chocolate. And a pony.

The Becca said...

Pepper, I can't figure out how to put the refills back in the duster. I am too much girl in me to figure it out.

Pepper said...

It's OK sweetie, I'll fix it when I get home. Why don't you go bake a pie to make yourself feel better?

Brenda Starr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda Starr said...

Fellow TUR's thank you for not letting me down on this one. On another note, Mandy how can you vote if you've never learned to read?
Thinking is hard .. my diminutive brain hurts

bodenner said...

guys are better.