19 October 2007

I Don't Mean to Rag on You Texas, But WTF?

While wasting some time this morning, I came across this story on CNN. The basic premise here is that some Texas lawmakers got upset when the University of Texas at Tyler, and this is my favorite part, started offering free condoms to its students at the student health center. You gotta be kidding me. What century is this?

Here's my favorite quote, "I had no idea (that the school was offering free condoms) and I'd imagine most parents don't know either," said Senator Eltife. "I can assure you there are a lot of parents whose kids are going there who would probably not be happy about what they're doing."

Parents not happy that their kids are using condoms? That's a new one. I mean no one is moronic enough to still believe that kids are waiting till the get married to be sexually active are they? Oh wait, this is Texas we're talking about here...

PS- Matt, I know Texas is you home state and I'm sorry, but, seriously, come on...

5 comments:

Matthew said...

I once went to the Dairy Queen in Tyler. They make real good blizzards. If they don't turn them upside down before handing it to you (so you can see that its so thick it sticks to the cup), you get it for free.

Small towns in East Texas like Tyler can be pretty damn backwards, but most have reasons to believe in them. Like most of the South, Texas can be a place that is kinda like family. More specifically, like the uncle that is doing time for something stupid and most likely he deserved it, but you love him anyway. Yeah, Texas would be the seventh most polluted country in the world if it were it's own country (which it once was). Yeah, we shock the nation with the number of people we put to death each year, which does absofuckinglutely NADA in terms of acting as a deterrent effect against homicide. But, you know, it's still home, and sometimes what is most messed up may offer the greatest gains in terms of opportunities to unite communities for justice and change.

However, yeah, Tyler should obviously pass out condoms, and more generally let go of the idea of the family as this happy straight wasp nuclear ideal in the Norman Rockwell painting.

But yeah, go check out the Dairy Queen. Like Parker Posey once said, sometimes people just go in and order a Coke, you know. Movie reference? Anyone?

bodenner said...

i think they should have distributed free strippers as well; who else is going to teach our kids how to put condoms on properly?

mandy said...

I just saw this fun image from my hometown newspaper and it made me want to punch myself in the face.

Also, Parker Posey's monologue about working at DQ in Waiting for Guffman is one of my favorite movie moments ever: " Just do the cones. . . make sundaes, make Blizzards, an' put stuff on 'em . . ."

Unknown said...

"you can just stop in ... have a coke if you're thirsty."

The Becca said...

There's always a place for me at the DayQue...