01 October 2007

"Non-Existent" Tighten-Up

I was just reading a story on National Geographic describing the discovery of a Flying Fox in the Philippines when a tighten up jumped out at me. The TU here goes to the "researcher" from University of Kansas who told his LOCAL guide that such a creature didn't exist when the guide described it to him. Way to reinforce the negative stereotype of Americans as pushy imperialists who think they know better then everyone else. Just because you got a PHD from some university you think you know better than a guy that has spent his whole life guiding unsuspecting tourists into the jungle. My favorite part is that the "researcher" then went back to his guide and apologized. I wish I knew what that fella was saying under his breathe immediately following that conversation...

3 comments:

bodenner said...

i think the discovery of a flying fox is sufficiently tight on its own

Orville said...

Pete, I'm no biblical scholar but I don't think there is "a Flying Fox in the Philippians," the Nazarene's gift of prophecy notwithstanding. Might want to check me on this one,

http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/KjvPhil.html

Pete said...

Corrected. Thanks for the heads up. my overzealous spell check strikes again...